Last January, in my usual post-holiday melancholy, I wrote a list of 29 gifts offered by the year 2013 – one for each birthday gone by. It was like sunshine on my face after days of cold and dark.
This January felt entirely different. After happily bouncing around Europe for a few weeks, I came home rested and excited about my engagement.
Now I’m settling into the usual winter doldrums. Brushing my car off every morning is killing my soul. My face hurts when I walk my (lovely and adorable) dog at 6:30 a.m. I’m dying of a vitamin D deficiency. Yadda yadda yadda.
So here it is, my cure for the murky, miserable winter blues.
In 2014 I…
- Played my first round of real Penetang bingo.
- Took on a new volunteer role with le Festival du Loup.
- Travelled to England to see dad and Nora get hitched.
- Survived the worst winter ever – barely.
- Bought a snowblower. We’ve christened it blowy.
- Tried and loved stand up paddleboarding.
- Hosted a few good shindigs.
- Met real witches in Salem on Halloween.
- Drywalled the kitchen ceiling and painted the attic.
- Sang and played in public – a bunch!
- Celebrated New Year’s Eve in Paris.
- Explored every high tea joint in Toronto, eating tiny sandwiches at every one.
- Started going to the gym again – kind of.
- Toasted my sister and her perfect partner at their wedding.
- Became flexitarian.
- Checked out the Elmvale Maple Syrup Festival.
- Made the local papers a few times.
- Baked cookies with cousins.
- Kindled my passion for municipal politics by volunteering.
- Deepened my love of boardgames. For our wedding, we might register for Ubongo, Munchkin and Dominion.
- Celebrated a whole year of blogging.
- Was offered a fantastic permanent job.
- Kind of figured out the gardening thing – kind of.
- Got into the Elmvale groove.
- Went on another wine-fuelled trip with the Humber gals.
- Played my first round of golf and didn’t totally suck.
- Joined our local francophone community choir.
- Celebrated nine years with the world’s handsomest Franco-Ontarian.
- Dropped my 15-year Wal-Mart boycott and took vavo shopping.
- Got to know every inch of Tiny Marsh.
Much love to all the beautiful people who made 2014 great. May you all enjoy 2015 as much as I think I will.