It’s true. We’re moving. We put our house on the market in early July and it just sold a to a nice couple — a bittersweet moment.
Public service announcement
If you have a small child, staging and cleaning a house for viewings is not advisable. You will find vacuuming with a wriggling fifteen-pound baby in your arms exceedingly annoying. You will also seriously resent regularly dismantling and putting away exersaucers, activity mats and jolly jumpers.
Those of you not watching my Facebook feed are no doubt thinking « what the damn hell!? »
It is rather confusing. We quite like Elmvale – particularly the high quality doughnuts. We also love our pretty victorian home. But the arrival of a certain little goober has changed a few things.
Why we decided to move
- We want to live closer to family and friends in Lafontaine, Perkinsfield and Midland. Our parents are going to offer part-time daycare when I return to work. Ah-mazing.
- We’d rather move while I have “free time” (ha) to pack up and manage logistics. Mat leave for the win!
- We’d also rather move while baby Arthur’s mobility is limited. I do not want to have to renovate/set up a home while chasing a toddler.
- The kid is going to a French school in North Simcoe County (Elmvale is already in that catchment) so we want to ease his commute.
- We still want a country house! Or a least a house on a quieter street with a bigger yard.
Which brings me to my next public service announcement. We need help finding a home. Do you know someone with a great house who’s thinking of selling? Are any of your elderly neighbours (with well-maintained homes) on the brink of death? Awesome! Let us know!
What we want — must haves
- Something in Tiny Township — south of Balm Beach Road so our drive to Barrie remains bearable
- A quiet street, low on traffic — so Arthur and Odie can roam free
- A big yard that is either a) private b) fenced or c) ready for fencing
- At least three bedrooms
- Good, solid bones — we can update a kitchen or put in new floors but we don’t want to rejig walls, put in new electrical, or replace plumbing
What we want — nice to haves
- Acreage — one or two would suffice, more would be great
- Surrounded by trees for privacy
- A garage
- Two full bathrooms
- A finished (or finishable) basement
Is that so much to ask? Probably, in this market — especially with our limited budget. But we’re putting it out to the universe anyway. Wish us luck!
Pingback: It’s a Halloween miracle! | Hello Field